Permitting Services

ORIA’s environmental permitting resources can help you with projects large or small!


Online Permitting Assistance System

A tool to help you determine which environmental permits you might need for your project

Regulatory Handbook

The Regulatory Handbook contains information about local, state, and federal permits, approvals, and licenses for Washington state.

Permit Process Schematics

ORIA's permit process schematics illustrate the application, review, and appeal phases for specific permits. They show you step-by-step how various permit processes work.

ORIA Information Center

Contact us at 1-800-917-0043 or at if you don't know which permits are needed or you are looking for a specific permit. Our services are free.

Permitting Tips & Timesavers

Permitting takes time and careful planning. So, before you draw any plans, dig any holes, or build any structures, think about how you can work with the permitting system. By doing this—and planning ahead - you’ll make getting the permits you need a whole lot easier.

We developed some tips and timesavers to help you avoid costly, time-consuming delays get it right the first time.


Frequently asked permitting questions

Usually, shoreline (conditional, exempt, etc) from local jurisdiction. Depending on the location a permit may be required from DNR, USACE and/or WDFW. Recommend contact the local jurisdiction (planning department) first - they should be able to assist with the other permits.
The Gold and Fish Pamphlet serves as the permit for freshwater mineral prospecting and mining activities as described in it. We recommend contacting the local WDFW regional office for an updated copy of the pamphlet.

If you want to conduct prospecting activities at different times, locations or with different equipment allowed in the pamphlet, you may need to apply for a HPA . We recommend contacting your Habitat Biologist for assistance.
To operate an auto repair shop, you may be required to obtain permits from:
□ Department of Ecology, Hazardous Waste & Toxic Reduction (HWTR) program: we recommend reviewing the Shop Guide for Dangerous Waste Management from your local clean air agency .
□ Your local jurisdiction: we recommend contacting the local jurisdiction (city / county ) planning department to verify the location of your business is zoned for your type of business.
For information on registering your Underground Storage Tank, visit:

For additional assistance or questions, contact the Department of Ecology, Underground Storage Tank program at 800-826-7716 or
If you are looking for a water supply for a project or want to make a change to an existing water right, visit:

Environmental Permitting Publications

DescriptionFile NameCategoryDownload
Aquatic Permitting
Aquatic Permitting.pdf [ver. 4]
Biodiesel Facility Large Scale Environmental Permitting Fact Sheet
Biodiesel Facility Large Scale Environmental Permitting Fact Sheet.pdf
Biodiesel Facility Large Scale Table of Environmental Permits
Biodiesel Facility Large Scale Table of Environmental Permits.pdf [ver. 4]
Biodiesel Facility Small Scale Environmental Permitting Fact Sheet
Biodiesel Facility Small Scale Environmental Permitting Fact Sheet.pdf [ver. 4]
Broadband Projects Environmental Permitting Guidance
Broadband Projects Environmental Permitting Guidance.pdf [ver. 2]
Manufacturing Facilities - Common Environmental Reports
Manufacturing Facilities - Common Environmental Reports.pdf
Shoreline Permitting Guidance Docks/Piers/Floats/Lifts/Buoys
Shoreline Permitting Guidance.pdf [ver. 2]

Permit Schematics A - M

DescriptionFile NameDownload
Air Operating Permit (AOP)
Air-Operating-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]
Air Quality Notice of Construction (NOC) Permit
Air-Quality-Notice-Of-Construction-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]
Aquatic Use Authorization
Agricultural Field Burn Permit
Agricultural Pile Burn Permit
Land Clearing Burn Permit
Citizen Proponent Negotiation (CPN)
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 1 Modification (Requires No Prior Approval)
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 1 Modification (Requires Prior Approval)
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 2 Modification
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 3 Modification
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Modification Class Determination
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - New Permit
Dangerous-Waste-New-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Renewal
Dangerous-Waste-Permit-Renewal-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Fish Habitat Enhancement Project
Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA)
Industrial Stormwater Permit - Termination Process
Industrial Stormwater Permit - Transfer Process
Large On-Site Sewage System Operating Permit (Between 3,500 and 100,000 gpd)

Permit Schematics N - Z

DescriptionFile NameDownload
National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
New Water Right Permit Process
New-Water-Right-Permit-Process-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]
Notice of Intent (NOI) and Siting Criteria
NPDES Construction Stormwater General Permit
NPDES Individual Permit
NPDES Industrial Stormwater General Permit
NPDES - Sand & Gravel Permit for Non-Portable Facilities and State Waste Discharge Permit
NPDES - Sand & Gravel Permit for Portable Facilities and State Waste Discharge Permit
Permit for Discharge of Dredge or Fill Material (Section 404)
Permit-For-Discharge-Of-Dredge-Or-Fill-Materials-Section-404-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Permit for Work in Navigable Waters (Section 10)
Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) - Air Quality Permit
Prevention-of-Significant-Deterioration-PSD-Air-Quality-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 4]
Radioactive Air Emission Approval to Construct
Radioactive Air Emission Exemption from Approval to Construct and License to Operate
Radioactive Air Emission License to Operate New Facility or Modification of an Existing Source (New Construction or Abatement)
Radioactive-Air-Emission-License-Operate-Modify-Existing-Source-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Radioactive Air Emission Modification/Revision Approval to Construct (New Construction or Abatement Controls)
Radioactive-Air-Emission-Modification-Revision-Approval-To-Construct-Controls-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Site Identification Number (RCRA Site ID)
Shoreline Conditional Use Permit and Variance
Shoreline Substantial Development Permit
State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) (For GMA Agencies)
State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) (For Non-GMA Agencies)
State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA)
State Wastewater Discharge Permit
US Army Corp of Engineers Administrative Appeal Process - Link G
US-Army-Corps-Of-Engineers-Administrative-Appeal-Link-G-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Water Conservancy Board - Change Existing Water Right
Water-Conservancy-Board-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
New Water Right Permit Process
Wetland Regulations
Wetland-Regulations-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]

Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm

Questions? We’re here, in person, ready to help.

TXT/SMS us your question

Click to chat now


Call: 1-800-917-0043 (toll-free)

We welcome your questions and feedback, if we don't have the answer we will help you find someone that does.